Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Bring on the True Death



My wife read the books. She liked the books. We both liked the show when it started.

It was easy to appreciate the gay allegory. The God Hates Fangs sign has always been a poignant moment in the opening title sequence - which, by the way, is the best part of the show. Now with Hep-V they're sorta touching on AIDS. Sorta.

Not sure what season the showrunners doused the books in gasoline and set them on fire, but it's been a pretty steep trajectory down for awhile now. We should have got out years ago, back when I tweeted to Jenna Jameson about how terrible it was.

Whatever supernatural being they introduced at the beginning of each season, I would look over at my wife. "So, this is from from the books, right?"

And when they did that whole farewell to Terry episode... "I feel I should probably read the books because I had no idea Terry was such a big deal."

My wife couldn't even roll her eyes.

We were done last season because it was sooooo bad. But then it was announced that this would be its final season, and, well, I'm a sucker for closure. So, ok, fine.

The best thing about the show is Pam. It's actually the only thing. Her line last week, 'Hey, look at me. I'm a republicunt,' was pretty great.

It makes you think the writers still care. But then they deus ex machina something about Fangtasia being part of the underground railroad so there are secret tunnels the vampires can use to sneak into the dungeon and blah blah blah. It's like they had the interns do it.

Alan Ball must be turning over in his grave.

My hope for the finale: Sookie moves to Argentina to live with a band of faeries. And Bill pilots a boat into the bayou, fakes his true death, and lives out his remaining days as a lumberjack.



No comments:

Post a Comment