Monday, December 2, 2013

Cold Cycle, or Ice Ice Baby

I rode my bike yesterday. It was cold. Somewhere over the bridge where the wind whistles loudest, I think I got an ice cream headache.

It snowed off and on while I worked. I watched it blow sideways from the 25th floor. I also watched it snow up. I think it has something to do with, well, I don't know what it has do with.

Thermal dynamic updraft something blah blah blah...

Hello?

Science?

By the time I was ready to go home, it was late. Traffic had died down. No mad rush of cars.

I put on my helmet and gloves before going outside. The guy at the desk came up next to me, said it was below 32 earlier, but it warmed up so it was probably ok.

He and I never really talk. We just nod or do the half wave. Sometimes we say 'night.

"Thanks for the heads up," I said.

When I rode home, I was thankful the snow hadn't really stuck. Just some stuff on the curbs and sidewalks. As I got closer, I took the side streets. The surface looked slick.

Maybe it's just wet.

I took a wide turn a block from home. No problem.

But damn, it looks so glassy.

I breathed out a plume of steam.

I got to my street and squeezed the brake to slow down. But that was the thing. I didn't slow down. I just kept going. And then I was lying on my side, my bike on top of me.

Two things learned;

1) A frozen rode has no give

2) I could feel my hip bone.

A guy on the far corner yelled out, "You ok?"

"Yeah, I'm good. Thanks."

He watched me get up before he walked away.

"Thanks," I said again.

It's nice when strangers do the exact thing I would do.

I walked my bike the rest of the way home and locked it up. It was nice to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment