Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Shell Sucks

At least the one at 350 W. Chicago Ave.

I've been trying to avoid BP since they added to the further ruin of Louisiana. So today I used a Shell at Chicago and Orleans. It's a busy intersection so it's not without effort to get in there.

I saw an open pump at the end and cruised around. I got out of my car, put in my credit card, and punched in my zip. Okay, it said, you're good to go - pick you grade and filler up.

Only there was no hose.

A simple hand written sign would have been nice. Ok, not the end of the world.

I hit cancel, get back in my car and go around to the other end. I check to make sure there's a hose. (There is.) I put in my credit card, and punch in my zip. Now it says to see the cashier.

I go inside and explain that the pump said I needed to come in and see her. She asks how much I want. I say I want to fill it up.

"Oh, you need to leave your credit card here, and then come back."

What? Seriously? I just want to conveniently fill up my gas tank with a minimum of physical effort and go.

"No thanks," I say. "Let's just put in $50." (Because sadly, while this is a big chunk of change, I know it won't actually top my tank. A few years ago, sure. But not at $4.65 a gallon.)

"Ok," she says. "But anything over $20 I need to see you driver's license."

"What?"

"Sorry, sir. It's not me. It's policy."

So I fish out my driver's license and hand it to her. She gives it back, rings me up, and hands me the paper to sign.

"Sign, please."

"Sure. Is there a pen?"

Now she has to find a pen.

OMG!

Trust me, I know I'm wasting everyone's time with this stupid blog rant about Shell. There are more important things. It's a gas station. Who cares? But it's the little things, isn't it? It's the little things that put a pall over everything else, or make the big things worse. And it's the little things like this post - that if there are enough of them - Shell puts an OUT OF ORDER sign on the pump that's out of order and puts the SERVICE back into their self service pumps.

C'mon, what the hell, Shell?!




No comments:

Post a Comment